Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Attempts at NaBlopoMo

NaBloPoMo stands for National Blog Posting Month. I just learned that a minute ago from checking someone else's blog. And thanks to the beauty of google, I asked google "what is nablopomo?" and found out. I feel very hip now, being able to speak the language of bloggers.

Having nothing brilliant in my head right now, I will just recount my day.

I have been very bad about going to water aerobics, my Saturday morning former activity. I like to sleep in on Saturdays. And drink my coffee, with some toast or a bagel. And read the paper leisurely. I like it much better than putting on a bathing suit, driving to the health club, getting into cool water, bouncing around for 50 minutes, getting into my clothes in a public locker room, and driving home. As a matter of fact, I can't think of anything I like about it anymore! But last night my friend Ricky called me and asked if I was going to water aerobics, cause she felt like going, after a long absence. I told her I'd go if she'd go. We agreed she'd pick me up, and that's what happened. The water was very warm, the class wasn't too crowded, and it was a nice work-out. And we both felt good doing it.

We both went to our respective homes and showered, and then met at a local bar, The Winking Lizard, for lunch. The Winking Lizard was very comical today. When we walked in, we walked past a large table of about 8 young men and about 12 very young kids. At first I thought it was a birthday party, and then I realized that what most likely happened is that 8 young wives said to their husbands "take the kids out today. I need time for myself." So they all gathered at The Winking Lizard, which has a kid-friendly menu.

After we were seated, I looked around the restaurant. There was one table of 8 older men. There were other tables of dads and kids. I said Ricky, look, there are no women in this restaurant. She looked around and said my God, this is weird. We are the only women here. And we were! It was like an episode of Outer Limits or something - like all the women of the world had disappeared.

After lunch, we went to Ricky's house. She just moved in last month, and I had not seen it. It was a cool house - a ranch with a huge basement. What was most noticeable is that it was kind of bare. And Ricky, like me, is a clutter queen, so it seemed so odd to me. I am wondering how long it will take for the clutter to re-appear. Because I firmly believe that once you are a clutter queen, you remain that way for the rest of your life.

Oh, I forgot to mention that while drying off from my shower, I somehow pulled something in my back. Hubby David came up to help me strip the bed and I said I can't bend over, and he said oh, did you injure yourself in water aerobics? And I had to say no, I injured myself drying off from a shower.

I seem to have a knack for this. When my daughter was a baby, we were driving to Michigan. She was in the back in her baby seat. She kept crying, and I leaned over toward her in the back seat, and in the process, I tore the meniscus in my knee. After our trip, I went through drugs, physical therapy, surgery and most physical therapy, but the second round of physical therapy was at a "sports medicine" center. And everyone was talking about how they got injured - tennis, skiing, etc. And here I had injured myself as a passenger in a car.

OK, back to my day. I stopped at the library and picked up a few DVDs, including Sex and the City (the movie). We ordered subs and I put a pillow behind my back and we watched. I watched the whole thing. David gave up halfway through. I enjoyed it; he didn't. Yeah, I know there were parts that were silly, but it held my attention and I loved the show, so it was enjoyable to me.

Throughout the day, I did my usual emailing. Of note was emailing my friend Richard in Australia - we are rarely on at the same time, so it was kind of cool to be on at the same time. And my favorite was my email from Ellen, whose daughter got her results of the bar exam in MA - this was great - unedited: "BONNIE PASSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We handed me the letter and we both cried like babies." That's what email is all about - sharing in each other's joys and sorrows, and I had no doubt that Bonnie wouldn't pass, but sharing in the joy was just cool.

That's it. Day one of 30 days. I'm gonna do my best to do 29 more posts this month.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Yikes! You be careful of that back! It's getting to be busy holiday season!

Funny about going to the Lizard -- we went there once when I visited. Sounds like a good day -- except the back thing.