Sunday, September 13, 2009

$20 for a pair of Tweezers?!!!!


I am by nature a thrifty person. I was raised that way and I have stayed that way.

I have washed aluminum foil to re-use it. I not only cut coupons religiously, but I exchange the ones I don't want with my mother and my friend Sharon. And if a coupon is really valuable to me, I'll email my work colleagues, giving me like 7 total coupons for the same item. I let the weekly grocery store sales dictate what I'll be buying for the week.

So what I paid for a pair of tweezer this week astounds me as well as all who know me.

Daughter Heather was home for the summer. We call her "princess" because she likes the finer things in life, and she really likes having her parents pay for the finer things in life. We are quite happy she is a senior in college so she can start buying her own finer things in life.

While Heather was home, she complained that her tweezers no longer worked, so I told her to get herself a new pair. I'm thinking $5. Well she came home with the most amazing tweezers I have ever used. Tweezerman tweezers. I always thought tweezers were basically the same, but I learned I have been wrong. I am used to trying 5 times to get that one hair. With Tweezerman, you get it on the first try, always. I asked "how much did you spend on these tweezers?" and she said '$15."

I decided my time is worth something, and it is time-consuming to keep missing the same hair. So I went to CVS and found about 10 different types of Tweezerman. The one that most closely resembled what Heather brought home was $20. Yeah, $20! And I bought it! And it has made a major difference in my life!

I went to work the next day and mentioned I had spent $20 on a pair of tweezers. Those who know me and those who are thrifty like me were appalled.

Secretly, I think they might buy these one of these days.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I just put Tweezerman on my CVS shopping list for tomorrow !!!!! There is no price on beauty.

Thanks Heather for teaching me the finer things in life.

anno said...

Too funny! I have wondered about these, though. They might be going on my list, too.

Euri said...

Tweezerman makes the best tweezers and they'll sharpen or replace the tweezers when they become dull. You just have to mail them in and they do it for free!

Unknown said...

When I was at CVS this morning reading the packaging on Tweezerman and deliberating on what color to purchase (may that be my hardest decision of the day), a clerk approached and said "those are the absolute best." I ripped the packaging open faster than when I took my first home pregnancy test and was oohing and ahhing at how quick and painless the tweezing is.

Sharon said...

OK. I'm going to buy one.

Jeanie said...

I am SO laughing at this! I can see Heather! And I see you! I could use a new pair of tweezers -- maybe this is it!

Michelle O'Neil said...

We needed new tweezers and I saw a pair at Whole Foods that was $20.00! I could not believe it. I didn't get them. Maybe that's the new going rate?

Mothermari said...

I'm going to check them out! Thanks!

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

You can't be stingy on the price of quality tools. You get what you pay for and tweezers are a good example! You can buy 10 pairs of bad ones that don't work trying to find ones that do, or go and pay for the good pair up front.

Sandy said...

Like you, it kills me to pay the prices they charge for certain things. When I need to justify the cost of something like your tweezers, I just amortize it! Hmmm, $20 over just 10 years, used 4X a week is a penny for each use. Seems reasonable to me!

Delaney said...

I am amazed that you bought those but they do sound like they might be worth it!

Anonymous said...

An interfacе that can hеlp you еxecute ωіth other qualifіed prοfesѕіonаls.
Unsecuгеԁ moniеѕ mean thаt you аre doing аnd
have preρаred evегything well, thoѕe months woulԁ pass bу quіcklу and you'll be perceived as an insult. If business you are writing on? This is not necessary to begin a tiny organization.

Here is my blog ... good internet marketing

John Bradon said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE CONTENT
andaman family packages
cheap andaman packages