Thursday, September 17, 2009

A School Shooting

On October 12, 2007, a co-worker looked outside the office building where I work and noticed many police cars outside the building. Right across the street from our building is a Cleveland school, called Success Tech. We turned on the TV, and TV crews were filming kids standing outside, some in tears, as well as stretchers with the wounded being carried out.

We found out that a 14 year old freshman walked into the school, shot two adults and two students. After police entered the school, he killed himself.

It seems commonplace now to be reading about a student somewhere who is entering a school or college campus and shooting people randomly. It is still shocking news, but seemingly less than it should be.

At Success Tech, after the shooting, they put in metal detectors for anyone entering the school.

Every morning I pull into the parking lot at work and see the kids lining up to get into the school, to go through the metal detector. They are all very orderly. Today I was watching them, thinking this has become their norm, to have to walk through a metal detector to get into their school.

And I thought how completely sad this whole thing is.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

I know. When I think of us as kids, walking to school on our own without worrying about kidnappers or child molesters. Going to middle and high school (and I went to a rough high school)without ever having the stress of "would all of us come home at the end of the day."

Sad it is. Very sad.

Trish said...

It is sad. The whole world has shifted, and what we would never had thought of has now become the new 'normal'. I miss the old normal....and wish my grandkids could have that gift...to be carefree.

My heart goes out to all those families torn apart by today's world.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

It is horribly sad!

Shauna said...

How very sad! I hate hearing stories like this. It always makes me wonder how that kid went wrong and what kind parents he had.

Sandy said...

The world is such a different place from when we were going to school and for the most part, I don't think it's improved!

Scribbit said...

Wow! That's something--something horrible and far too common. One of my friends was in a famous school bombing where she and her classmates were held hostage. Listening to her talk about it gives you chills.

Mothermari said...

I remember as a child my Grandparents talking about how bad things had gotten. I remember my parents doing the same thing....I'm now doing the same thing. How sad! Each generation seems to get worse! How sad. That is why everyday I thank the Lord when all my family comes home safe,each of still have a job our health and each other. Because family... that is what matters most. During these crazy times.

Crone and Bear It said...

It's so frightening out there these days - not a bit like when we went to school and the only thing we had to worry about was the school bully or the fact you hadn't done your homework. Now every morning is a life and death possibility for these kids and that's very sad.